TV program from Japanese TV (Fuji) about trivia questions. This time
about the origin of using the music of 'El Bimbo' as arranged by
Paul Mauriat by the Japanese on magic tricks. No new appearance of Mauriat
here, but the story is very entertaining. Also, the TV commercial for
Merushian wine is a bit different from the other one displayed
Thanks to the help of my friend Hsieh
Chih-Chien for supplying this information.
TV program from Fuji TV, Japan.
Running time: The segment is about 20 minutes
Tokudane from Fuji TV
- The person who did the report, starts a magic trick but had a cold
reception. She says that something was missing: the music.
- She asks Japanese people (some a bit drunken) to do a magic act with
- 19 out of 21 of them did the music of El
- Then start some information about the song, recorded in 1975 by Mauriat,
visiting an amateur magician at his work and he carries a cassette tape
of Paul Mauriat with him.
- She visits a couple of children who do magic tricks and they use some
other kind of music and they never heard of El Bimbo...
- After this setback, she interviews Magi
and he does some tricks with El Bimbo on the background. He says that he
didn't use the music first.
- Probably this magician: Shoukoku Sumie.
Next, we see her at her old age still doing some magic acts at a
theatre. And there is some footage of her in black and white, and then
in color where she uses the theme. She explains that she was looking for
a song for her magic trick where she does some tricks with flowers and
she heard El Bimbo on the radio and she knew that's what it!
- The reporter shows a graph from 75 to 77 about the popularity of the
song. And it shows a peak on 77. What happened on that year?
- This happened! Paul Mauriat did a commercial for
Merushian wine with the music of El Bimbo.
- Some footage from concerts with Paul Mauriat and his orchestra
performing El Bimbo.
The hosts of the show
Japanese man doing a magic act with 'Chararara' music
Information about the song, recorded in 1975 by Mauriat
Magi doing some tricks with El Bimbo on the background
Shoukoku Sumie doing some magic acts
Mauriat commercial for Merushian wine
Mauriat and orchestra playing El Bimbo
Graph showing the increase in popularity since the commercial in '77